11.20.2008

Knock me senseless, just a scar of all the things I have done wrong.

When I first landed the volunteering job, I had the pleasure of starting the night the band Elsinore was set to perform.

When I entered and walked down the ramp, I noticed that this band was a pretty average bunch of guys, actually extremely average. The lead singer, Ryan Groff, stood out the most to me. It was his extremely long and dark brown curly hair.

Their music could be classified as many things. A wonderful combo of rock, folk, americana, and indie. A song called "Landlocked" was all about living in the Midwest. The band is from Champaign/Urbana Illinois, so they definitely know all about it.

They gazed at the signed photographs on the wall and whistled to the tunes being played by Pandora. They smiled and patiently waited for their chinese food. I remember Ryan's cheery face when he found out that Andrew Bird, an obvious influence, had played here in the past.

In fact, one of the first songs they played was Bird's Spare-Oh. It was absolutely beautiful as Groff whistled the solo. They also played many tracks - sadly they had only recorded an EP with three tracks, all of which were played. They played many others including Lines, my favorite, "I don't wanna fight around you anymore, I want to be loved." When Ryan sang that line -- a full set of chills shot through me. I'm a sucker for that kind of stuff.

They mentioned that they were going to get a full album out soon, and God, I really hope so! I am anxiously awaiting it.

---

After the gig, they were extremely happy and awesome. They wanted us to go and bowl with them, and so I took that chance and had a great time. In fact Ryan got me a strike through encouragement.

When it was my bed time and I needed to say goodbye, Dave Pride, the drummer took my hand in both of his hands, looked me in the eye, and gave me the most heartfelt "Thank You" I have ever gotten. They all shook my hand and made me want to play another game.

Needless to say, these guys were completely appreciate sweethearts. I cannot wait for their album and to see them again!

No comments: